Healthy relationships are an important part of all of our lives. Feelings can be overwhelming and confusing but it’s important to take a step back and think about your relationship. These five qualities are important components to a healthy relationship:
1) Mutual Respect
- Does your partner respect your boundaries? Boundaries refer to the things within your comfort level. In a healthy relationship your partner understands that there are certain things that may make you uncomfortable and respects those limits.
- A healthy relationship is one in which both people are able to lean on each other. It’s important to feel that you can share news, good or bad with your partner. Being able to rely on your partner when you need them is crucial to a healthy relationship.
- Does your significant other trust you and you them? It is important that you feel like you can confide in your partner. Even in the most trusting of relationships, jealousy can appear. Though a little bit of jealousy is a natural emotion, what’s important to remember is how a person acts when jealous. It is important to talk through these emotions and communicate with your partner, and not feel like you have to stop doing things you enjoy.
4) Self Esteem
- When you’re in a healthy relationship your partner encourages, support and nurtures you and your interests. If you feel like your partner puts you down and dampens your spirits it may be time to take a step back and re-evaluate things.
5) Open Communication
- The cornerstone of a healthy relationship is to be able to discuss things openly with your partner. If you feel like you aren’t ready to share things quite yet, take the time to think through things more clearly. The right person will give you the space and time to gather your thoughts and feelings.
Most, if not all relationships are complex. The aspects of a healthy relationship listed above are qualities to aspire to, and do not encompass the entire spectrum of what a good relationship looks like. Above all, it’s important to remember that a good relationship is safe and help both partners grow.